UK TVs

Gidza

Hi guys

I brought in my Samsung led tv but have not been able to get it to work. When I connect the antenna it does tune into any stations. Havr not yet decided which digital pay TV to go with so was hoping to be able to watch free-to-air channels by simply plugging in the antenna.

Any ideas?

I assume you mean you brought your UK TV.

No expert, but as nobody else has replied - the UK tuner will not pick up Oz digital channels.

If you search the forum, there may be a country setting you can use to get it to work IF your TV allows you to set it.

Obviously select Oz if it is there, but I recall some other (European??) countries might work.

Otherwise you could buy a set top box, or check out ebay/gumtree for second hand - make sure it is HD and not older SD

Edited by davlap

I assume you mean you brought your UK TV.

No expert, but as nobody else has replied - the UK tuner will not pick up Oz digital channels.

If you search the forum, there may be a country setting you can use to get it to work IF your TV allows you to set it.

Obviously select Oz if it is there, but I recall some other (European??) countries might work.

Otherwise you could buy a set top box, or check out ebay/gumtree for second hand - make sure it is HD and not older SD

Yes, I broughy with me my UK tv and have not been getting any signal. So how do I chanhe the settings. Is it something a layman like myself can do or I need someone to come in

Buy a cheap set top box/PVR (similar to freeview boxes in the UK) from any electrical store, plug it in and off you go. We brought 2 UK TVs with us and bought two PVRs. Not cheap ones though. We bought ones with dual tuners and hard drives so we could record TV, but if you just want to be able to watch it a cheap 'free view' box will be fine. Something like this http://www.harveynorman.com.au/teac-digital-set-top-box-pvr.html

Buy a cheap set top box/PVR (similar to freeview boxes in the UK) from any electrical store, plug it in and off you go. We brought 2 UK TVs with us and bought two PVRs. Not cheap ones though. We bought ones with dual tuners and hard drives so we could record TV, but if you just want to be able to watch it a cheap 'free view' box will be fine. Something like this http://www.harveynorman.com.au/teac-digital-set-top-box-pvr.html

So does it meam the inbuilt freeview doesnt work here.

So does it meam the inbuilt freeview doesnt work here.

Essentially, yes (though I have managed to get Channel 36 for some reason). Frequencies are different. You can get a cheap one from the likes of Big W too, or if you're on the right broadband plan Optus will give you a free PVR and decoder.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi guys

I brought in my Samsung led tv but have not been able to get it to work. When I connect the antenna it does tune into any stations. Havr not yet decided which digital pay TV to go with so was hoping to be able to watch free-to-air channels by simply plugging in the antenna.

Any ideas?

Hi, I brought three TVs - Sony Bravia, Sharp and Toshiba - all digital tvs. Initially, I did not get any reception. I resolved the problem by going into settings - finding "first tuning" - in Sony Bravia I chose Denmark (as the transmission is identical to Australia - as is Italy, Netherland and Austria). In the other two TVs Australia was present as a choice.

As I do not have any top box or fox tel, I selected antenna (not cable) and then selected auto-tune. And...after some trepidation...I got about 35 free to air channels...good quality picture and sound too!

I was only able to do this because some kind soul in Poms in Oz had kindly put up a link to a table setting out all countries and the format in which they transmit TV programmes. So I was able to pick up the country which transmitted in the format identical to Australia.

As you can see by my language I am not at all technical...my nine year old probably is more technical than I am!!

Edited by Austrial
to add detail

Hi, I brought three TVs - Sony Bravia, Sharp and Toshiba - all digital tvs. Initially, I did not get any reception. I resolved the problem by going into settings - finding "first tuning" - in Sony Bravia I chose Denmark (as the transmission is identical to Australia - as is Italy, Netherland and Austria). In the other two TVs Australia was present as a choice.

As I do not have any top box or fox tel, I selected antenna (not cable) and then selected auto-tune. And...after some trepidation...I got about 35 free to air channels...good quality picture and sound too!

I was only able to do this because some kind soul in Poms in Oz had kindly put up a link to a table setting out all countries and the format in which they transmit TV programmes. So I was able to pick up the country which transmitted in the format identical to Australia.

As you can see by my language I am not at all technical...my nine year old probably is more technical than I am!!

Hi

Thanks for this useful info. I habe struggled with knowing frequencies and bands on my Bravia tv. Do you have the table with frequencies that you mentioned in your post. In the meantime I am using a freeview box but it has about 10 or so channels only and if I can get 35 like you I'll be sorted

Our Uk xbox works fine, although connecting to a high speed internet, well, that's another story.....we have adsl 2. It's not too bad but haven't tried streaming yet.

We have standard channels on our Oz bought telly, quite frankly, I thought folk were exaggerating on how awful telly is.....it's awful... have no experience of Foxtel or pay TV as I hear it's quite pricey.

Make sure you buy plug adaptors before you leave the UK, they can be expensive over here. Also. we brought a few uk multiblocks in our luggage, then changed the plug to an Oz one:-)

Hi

Thanks for this useful info. I habe struggled with knowing frequencies and bands on my Bravia tv. Do you have the table with frequencies that you mentioned in your post. In the meantime I am using a freeview box but it has about 10 or so channels only and if I can get 35 like you I'll be sorted

Hi Gidza

I am not able to find the link to the table. However, if you have Sony Bravia - click on the home button on your remote - then use your left cursor to find the settings icon (it will look like a folder) - select that and then scroll down till you find digital auto tune (if your tv is digital) - select tune for first time - select germany or spain or denmark as the country - it will take some time auto-tuning (approx 5 minutes) - you should get circa 35 stations (of course some will repeat in different stations) - you will get some radio channels too -

Hope this helps.

He has a Samsung (and a Bravia it seems), but hasn't said the model number or age.

Some of the initial HDTV Samsungs only had non-HD tuners, so even though they could display HD, they couldn't internally decode HD Free-To-Air channels, just SD. Depending on the region and state, Australia is switching off SD so the number of channels available on an old TV may be variable anyway.

Then you have the issue of tuning a Euro TV into Australia by masquerading as a different country. You do this to get the sound channel, the picture should be fine anyway so long as it can decode HD.

Clear the stored UK channels, and let the TV Autoscan for new...you shouldn't need to manually tune anything even on an old Samsung. If it can't Autoscan and find channels, what the aerial like on the roof?

The best answer is to go to Dick Smith's and get an Australian HD Digital Tuner for $30 and plug it in...just use your TV as a monitor until you can afford a new TV. At that price it's a no brainer.

Edited by Slean Wolfhead

Fantastic Austrial! I went back to my TV and after some experimentation selection "Auto Start-up" on my old Sony. Only then did it give me the choice of selecting another country (I chose the Netherlands) and I got most of the channels. Some it knows are there but says are "not tuned" - our Aussie bought freeview TV gets them now problem.

Many, many thanks. I shall make sure I pass this on to other people.

He has a Samsung, but hasn't said the model number or age.

Some of the initial HDTV Samsungs only had non-HD tuners, so even though they could display HD, they couldn't internally decode HD Free-To-Air channels, just SD. Depending on the region and state, Australia is switching off SD so the number of channels available on an old TV may be variable anyway.

Then you have the issue of tuning a Euro TV into Australia by masquerading as a different country. You do this to get the sound channel, the picture should be fine anyway so long as it can decode HD.

Clear the stored UK channels, and let the TV Autoscan for new...you shouldn't need to manually tune anything even on an old Samsung. If it can't Autoscan and find channels, what the aerial like on the roof?

The best answer is to go to Dick Smith's and get an Australian HD Digital Tuner for $30 and plug it in...just use your TV as a monitor until you can afford a new TV. At that price it's a no brainer.

It's a Sony Bravia kdk55w905a releases in april 2013. I tried autoscan but still it cant fi d any channels. I have a free view but it only has a few channels so was hoping to get the 30 or so mentioned here.

Do you also know if I can watch uk channels over the net and what would I need to do so. Are there any ways to do this

He has a Samsung (and a Bravia it seems), but hasn't said the model number or age.